AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Replacement Heifer question.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Phil A.
Posted 2/18/2021 19:48 (#8843038)
Subject: Replacement Heifer question.

Western Ohio
Curious how some of you would look at this. Have an opportunity to buy some calving now thru next 45 days heifers. Do not need them real bad but got to wondering if I could just sell off my replacement heifers that I kept back and buy these ready to calve ladies if that might be a good upgrade? The replacements I have are in the 700 lb range and are just getting roughed on Oats hay and some soyhulls. When you look at the cost to raise that heifer get her bred and to next year this time it is going to cost me a few dollars a head to get her there. Lets just use $2/hd/day for sake of math. So in this example we have well over $1500 in getting this heifer to the point she will have a calf when you consider her value to day plus cost to get her through the next year. How much over the $1500 in this example would you be willing to give for the heifer ready to calve today?

I understand the risk of buying heifers I did not raise.

I understand my cost to get the heifer developed might be different than others.

I am just trying to get my head around the premium I should be willing to give over the cost it takes to develop a heifer on my own. I have allot of genetics similar to what I would be buying already so not really a big change in genetics or anything like that just speeding up the process a year.

Phil A.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)