AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Calf with puffy ears.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Dirtfarmer1000
Posted 2/18/2021 14:12 (#8842318 - in reply to #8842288)
Subject: RE: Calf with puffy ears.

Alberta
Big Swede - 2/18/2021 12:56

Some ears like that have a chance if you leave them alone. Putting a tag in when they are puffy is a no no.

^^^^^^like he said.......takes about a month to know how much die. you can have a look at skin color as well, the frozen portion will be kind of dark red or purplish. I find if they don't freeze twice you have a better chance to save them or most of the ear. Getting them wet when it is near freezing does not do them any favors either. You don't need any meds, the frozen part just gets hard, shrivels up and falls off. the edge may bleed a bit. if you tag, sometimes you may have to tag agin as sometimes the ear will freeze to the tag. In the big picture, they are ears, I got a lot of Cows with shorter than normal ears, and I have had calves that have frozen to within an inch of the head, where there is nothing left to tag. They still make good cows. Auctions don't like frozen ears and you may loose a few cents but I would be more concerned about frozen feet. If the foot or a claw was frozen, it will not show up for 3 weeks to a month. the calf will all of a sudden be lame.....then you will notice the ankle may be swollen, or one claw is not growing.....

Edited by Dirtfarmer1000 2/18/2021 14:18
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)