AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

fine roots
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Archery dog
Posted 2/18/2021 06:06 (#8841227 - in reply to #8839084)
Subject: RE: fine roots

Schochoh Ky
My question on the fine roots , are they able to mine nutrients from the deeper soil profile . Would be interesting if the frag pan , studies out of Ky show any fertility improvements where they are using continuous rye grass cover crops to try and remedy the frag pan soils . Dr Loyd Murdock is heading this program. We farm very few pan soils , but have been heavy on the cereal rye covers over the last 7-8 years . We see these cereal rye roots at 3-4 feet if planted early in the fall , jury is still out if they are gathering nutrients from previously untouched soils , or are they just seeking water . All our rye goes on , into standing double crop beans , so some years you have trouble establishing the rye early enough to achieve a lot of pre winter growth , that enables the roots to go deep. Thanks for the info . I have noticed this winter , while clearing a timber tract , that you see very few tree roots in the poorer sub soils that we have , the tree roots seem to track the silt layer topsoils and, avoid the red clay sub soils .

Edited by Archery dog 2/18/2021 06:08
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)