AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Electricity
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

coup
Posted 2/16/2021 10:52 (#8836568 - in reply to #8836392)
Subject: RE: Electricity

USA
kggonzo - 2/16/2021 08:51

coup - 2/16/2021 09:11

kggonzo - 2/16/2021 08:08

coup - 2/16/2021 09:04

kggonzo - 2/16/2021 07:52

coup - 2/15/2021 16:06

Mark in WCIowa - 2/15/2021 13:45

Solar or wind power for your business.

Exactly what I am thinking. My guess the goofy greenies will decide to up tax credits to fix the current debacle.

If they get the tax credit up to 70% will install large enough solar- battery storage,with standby generator backup to go off grid and make 100% of my own electricity.

Put 10 KW solar system in where live in 2019 got 30% fed tax credit plus about 60% of what it cost from ILL. ROI is 100% plus a year. My guess electric rates will increase 30- 50% in the next five years

FYI, according to my calculations, a battery has about a 7 year breakeven. It should have a 10,000 cycle life so about 15 years if you cycle it twice a day.

There are some nice additional benefits of having a battery though on those days the grid goes down. ALso, battery helps start some motors, and can correct power factor.

I'm excited about what this can do for 3 phase bin sites, as utilities go to demand based charges, these batteries and inverters will be an excellent solution.
Look me up in a few months, and I can help with that battery. How big of battery do you need?
www.midwestess.com

Right now only have 14 KW system solar panels have installed. so don't have a clue what battery size. Where I live will probably need more generating capacity if went off grid. Already have a standy generator, that will run everything but 3 grain bin fans. Probably going to wait to do anything more with Solar until Gov tax incentive increases for. My guess they will up tax credits a lot higher than where they are currently.

How much KW to run 250 electric HP @ my grain setup?

It would depend on the starting load of your largest motor.

It would be costly, and probably not make economic sense to try to run a grain system off solar and battery. BUT, it does make sense to use a battery, and/or solar to help control load and clean up the power factor. Cleaning up the power factor can lower you energy bill. You could do this will a smaller system, say a 50 kw battery and inverter. We have engineers available for this, i'm just making an educated guess. Cost for a 50 kw system (battery and inverter) about 20k. Assuming 25 hp for largest motor.

Largest motor is 30HP, 250 hp is max if everything was running. Problem going forward sounds like facility charge with my electric coop might get to 250 per month for 3 phase meter in the future. Run grain system through two 3 phase meters, do to being cheaper than with one. So could be looking @ $6000 year in facility charges if stayed with two meters plus electric cost. If had back up generator would think it would help with starting motors But I am dumb as box of rocks when it comes to electrical things so maybe am wrong about tying generator into things to help.

Edited by coup 2/16/2021 10:53
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)