AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Another Ag Leader question
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 2/15/2021 15:23 (#8834620 - in reply to #8831910)
Subject: Some auto swath situations with and without boundaries.

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
MF3680 - 2/14/2021 14:42

Thanks, that makes sense. If I understand, you map the outside rounds every year and then your clutches will shut off your rows when you enter into that planted area.

Yes that is true and will usually be fine.

Let's say you weren't paying attention and tried planting right on through the outside rounds. While inside the main part of the field, you would be planting as would be correct. When you drove across the planted area the clutches would stop planting, once you got past those rows and were travelling outside the intended field, the clutches would once again allow planting. Why? Because that area has not been planted and there is no boundary to prevent this from happening.

Now if you had the same situation but had a nice accurate outside boundary, the planting would again be fine within the main part of the field as desired, when you reached the ends which had been planted and mapped the planting would stop, again as it should. This time if you continued past those end passes into the next field the planter would not start planting again. Why? The area past the field is outside an outside boundary.

Unless you have fallen asleep, the above isn't too likely to happen so the outside boundary doesn't come into play and usually doesn't matter since you have raised up and turned around anyway.

I have had a bit of an issue when spraying without an outside boundary. Again I spray around the outside of the field. Then I start spraying the heart of field back and forth. With a sprayer the outside end of the outside boom can extend past the outside of the field unless the operator is careful enough to turn quick enough so this doesn't happen. While I'm spraying within the field everything is fine. As I approach the ends, auto swath shuts off all the booms or shuts them off sequentially if I have point rows. Everything is good so far. When I turn around for the return pass, the outer portion of the outer boom might pass over the outside of the field, it will be travelling over an unsprayed area so the system turns that boom back on for a bit. As the turn continues, the outer section will again be completely over the ends which have been sprayed so the section is shut back off. As the sprayer squares up and enters the main part of the field again, the booms come back on as desired.

The first time I did this was a bean field along my brothers driveway. I was spraying RUP which still kills grass. The result was curved arcs of dead grass along the edge of the field. How could I prevent this from happening? 1) turn shorter so the end of the boom always remained over the field I was spraying. 2) Have an accurate outer boundary, then if I turned wide part of the boom would be over previously sprayed areas and the outer part would be outside the boundary which would prevent auto swath from turning the boom back on for that short amount of time 3) Once auto swath has shut off all the sections, shut off the master switch myself and leave it off until I've turned around and am squaring up for the return pass, then flip the Master back on and then auto swath will turn the booms back on at the proper time. I'm intervening to prevent the outer boom from coming around while I turn. Some have said "that shouldn't be necessary" and maybe it isn't but It is not really very hard to do and prevents any surprises.

Another thing to be aware of with outside boundaries that you keep from year to year. This can be fine and work out great. We have several fields that butt against other fields of ours and the division line from one year to the next might not be exactly the same. For this reason, I always disable auto swath off for the outside pass. Otherwise with the planter that has 2 row sections, it might shut the outer sections off if I got too close to the old outside boundary when I really wanted all rows planting there this year.

Another handy but possibly confusing situation is Inside Boundaries. Inside Boundaries can be created if the field has an Outside Boundary. Then the planter will not plant when outside an Outside Boundary. It will not plant when inside an Inside Boundary. It will not plant if the area has been planted. I don't really have need for Inside Boundaries but they can be very handy in certain situations. I think of them as islands where you will be driving across them while spraying/planting the main part of a field. You could circle this "island" before passing across it. The sequence of events might go like this. You are spraying/planting the main part of the field which is fine. You enter the area around the "island" and the sprayer or planter shuts off because you are over an area which has been covered. You then continue to drive across the island, no planting or spraying takes place because you are inside an Inside Boundary. As you leave the island you again travel over an area that has been covered so no planting or spray, finally you cross into the main part of the field again which is outside an inside boundary, is inside an Outside Boundary and hasn't been planted. Planting or spraying resumes.

Edited by tedbear 2/16/2021 06:47
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)