AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Heavy clay tillage help
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Claymore
Posted 2/13/2021 15:38 (#8829704 - in reply to #8827772)
Subject: RE: Heavy clay tillage help

No Tilling into clay is much more forgiving than doing tillage. I would say you can go as soon as it dries off on top so your openers don’t wrap up with sticky clay. Be sure your seed furrow closes. No tilling into clay gives you a wider window as you aren’t drying out the ground with tillage, but I still like to seed our heavy ground as soon as we can because it seems if we seed too late we can have issues with either the drill not penetrating and the seed furrow drying out or it turns wet and then it’s difficult to get back in. Also with late seeding on clay, the wheat will struggle to tiller more so than on medium soils. The sooner we can get the ground covered the better, with the ground covered, clay has less tendency to bake and will stay mellower. One other thing, I have never seen no tilled wheat crust. Being your ground was worked last fall you could still potentially see that, but if it is possible to notill it, the likelihood of crusting is much lower versus if you work it up again in the spring.

Edited by Claymore 2/13/2021 15:39
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)