AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Heavy clay tillage help
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Lakefarmer94
Posted 2/12/2021 19:13 (#8827772 - in reply to #8827588)
Subject: RE: Heavy clay tillage help

It’s the brick kind of clay. Really nasty stuff if it’s not perfect probably. And it’s hard to ask around because there’s not a lot of real farming going on here. Mainly hippies growing hemp and marijuana who have never really farmed before, or just guys that cut hay and that’s it. The ones who have worked the ground don’t really tell ya much. I have looked into notill but I’ve personally never really done it other than drilling rye into old alfalfa stands in the fall for the last year it’s in production. I did have a client I did custom work for last year. He ripped in the spring (I told him not to but the other guy who did the ripping said it’d work). Basically cut through it like butter, what did come up was massive chunks of clay. And I spent the next two weeks trying to work up this old pasture ground in may with a disk and a rotera. I decided after weeks of cussing the guy with the ripper and cussing myself for taking the job I’d start asking around.

So if I decided to no till it, would I want to do it while slightly wet? When this gets dry it cracks and turns to concrete.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)