AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Heavy clay tillage help
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Lakefarmer94
Posted 2/12/2021 17:23 (#8827498 - in reply to #8827465)
Subject: RE: Heavy clay tillage help

It really varies honestly. The nickname for this soil type is black sticky. Locals aren’t much help, they mainly grow a little grass hay or alfalfa. The rest is vineyard, hemp and orchard crops. I was working ground last year with a 15’ offset disk for a local hemp grower and that stuff would get so sticky it’d completely ball up the blades on the gangs. Like I said, it was worked up (poorly in my opinion) with I believe a 12’ disk with 24” blades I believe. It has a little regrowth in the root stock but generally they’ll get no higher than 6” in the old rows and kind of stunt. The bottom part of the property was in hemp 3 years ago, and then planted to wheat for hay. That ground seems to have worked up better than the other parcels where the trees were. I don’t want to over compact and I’m trying to figure out what to do. Over the hill where I farm as well it’s plow, disk, roll or board then plant. Granted that’s fluffy peat dirt basically. I’m worried about clods, I ran a chisel plow last year and pulled up some big clouds. Granted that was May and I ran a tiller over it for hemp.

I’m interested in those VT implements but I’ve also looked at the field cultivators as well. How heavy is that clay you’ve got? Is it so stick if you walk out into the field after a rain and you’re 6” taller? Because that’s this stuff. Black, sticky nightmare.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)