AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

When the market drops against me
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

GrainTrader
Posted 2/10/2021 20:59 (#8823054 - in reply to #8822989)
Subject: RE: When the market drops against me

20 Miles West of Indianapolis Indiana
BShauler - 2/10/2021 20:39

A lot of good farmers bought land in the late 70's that thought buying was better than renting. It didn't work out for some.

IMO, unless starting out with a silver spoon, it’s a balance of each. Nothings guaranteed in the rental world forever. Paid for land tends to be as close to “forever” as possible on a lease if you don’t lose it. (I suppose that’s about a contradicting a wording as you’ll ever see)

I can’t seem to buy land without renting a lot more to help pay for it. Land is a 401K for me. Even though I may not be the best farmer this side of the Mississippi, I understand farming a lot better then the stock market. And if I own the land I can manage it in a more long term profitable manner.

In rebuttal to your comment about folks going bust after purchasing land in the 70’s... Rick Rosentrader is on record saying paying higher cash rent is a better deal then owning land therefore not tying up too much working capital... that one also didn’t pan out well.

Idk what the answer is? Timing and a little luck might have a lot to do with it. I remember grandpa telling me he quickbooks buying land when it got back to prices that took guys down again in the 80’s. He said he wished he kept buying but my the time he realized it wasn’t going to bust at those prices like he thought he was too old to take on the hassle and it was even higher then when he thought it was too high.
Being gutsy at the right time can pay off big in the long run. Being gutsy at the wrong time can get your name in the paper for a “restructuring” sale or “forced retirement” or “business dispersal” sale.

Edited by GrainTrader 2/10/2021 21:51
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)