AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

soybeans
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

Clay SEIA
Posted 2/10/2021 00:15 (#8820656 - in reply to #8819842)
Subject: RE: soybeans

Illinois Steve - 2/9/2021 18:21 I’m just looking at where things stand right now and the bullish story beans have. Not that corn isn’t having a good run but there have been a lot of 70 to 90 bushel beans raised the last few years. Now obviously we can’t count on those kinds of yields but if you start doing the math those are some pretty impressive gross dollars. Don’t get me wrong, $4 to $5 corn is a pretty amazing gross with 200 to 250 bushel corn as well! I just think guys that struggle to raise much over 200 bushel corn will keep their rotation and not be tempted to plant more corn. I’m guessing there will be a fair amount of corn on corn around here this year. With bean prices where they are we plan to keep things the same. Just because the market might be telling me to plant corn doesn’t mean I’m gonna do it. I must be getting old. Ten to twenty years ago I couldn’t raise enough corn.

Lots of things going on with all you said at the moment.  There's the derecho that will put some powerhouse corn acreage to beans just so the volunteer corn can be cleaned up.  There's an even larger area surrounding the derecho where guys who are accustomed to 200-250 corn just harvested a turd on continuous corn fields and have a sour taste- but, how many of them already ran a disk ripper and put some nitrogen down just because that's what they always do?  Who knows.   And then you have some areas (say, northern Mizzery) where the stars pretty much all have to align for the whole growing season to see 200 bpa corn, but you can have just one week of good August rains deliver great soybean yields.   I'm probably chasing this whole thread in circles, but that's exactly what is going to be happening- really hard to pin down the factors that will swing the last 5 or 10 percent of acreage that people can change right up till the moment they load the planter.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)