AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Student debt solution.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

coup
Posted 2/8/2021 07:10 (#8815679 - in reply to #8815449)
Subject: RE: Student debt solution.

USA
illinois-kris - 2/7/2021 22:31

My older sister is one of those masters social workers that went to a private university for 4 years then grad school. Our folks paid almost $200,000 for her to make $30,000 a year.

I went to a community College because there wasn't any money left. I got a cheerleading scholarship that paid for tuition and worked as a peer mentor for book rental and lab fee waiver. I ate 2 meaks a day in the school cafeteria as part of the athletic scholarship. Also worked in a restaurant to pay for other expenses and my 3rd meal of the day. Lived in provided cheerleading house dirt cheap. I took a summer job welding oil tanks and never returned to school to get the welding certificate.

I made more money as a college drop out welding for ExxonMobil at 20 years old than my dad who taught shop class, mom with a masters as a guidance counselor, and my sister the social worker with a masters.

There are better options out there than going into massive debt for a piece of paper that says you know the bare minimum about a chosen field. Get an entry level job in your chosen field and work your way up. Some employers will pay for your school and allow you to work for them part time while you do it. At 19 I started with basic welding skills, hired in as a slg chipper/fire watch, worked into a welding job, promoted to job pusher, and was a field foreman by age 22. Few people want to put in the work and just want everything handed to them. That's how I moved up so quickly, I was there to work my way up to a company truck and better pay.

Folks like you are a rare breed in today's world. Have a lot of respect for you and others like you who have the smarts and ambition to do what it takes to get ahead.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)