AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Soil water improvements with the long-term use of a winter rye cover crop
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

STFB
Posted 2/9/2021 09:04 (#8818533 - in reply to #8814931)
Subject: RE: Soil water improvements with the long-term use of a winter rye cover crop

Northwest Ohio
Pvafarm - 2/7/2021 18:48

Very interesting Mike but I'm trying to read this on my phone while trying not to watch the super bowl so I should print it out to give it my complete attention. My take on this if we are going to get adoption of covers to slow nutrient losses (P or N) it will take a concerted effort and money by nrcs, etc to make it happen. Unless we show good yield improvement from covers and I don't think that will happen by farmers leading.

Even if you can show good yield improvements, it won't be enough to get wide adaptation of covers.

It adds alot more management. Also alot more potential issues then blast some weed and feed, hit it with the cultivator and plant.

Even large financial incentives won't be successful in wide adaptation. It will become adapted practices after regulation and financial prohibitive environment.

$1000 map, $800 potash, $750 uan, and $2.50/bu corn will spur a wide adaptation of soil health.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)