AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Robust first aid kit for shop?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Where Can I find?????Message format

Mike SE IL
Posted 2/8/2021 02:02 (#8815494 - in reply to #8813030)
Subject: RE: Robust first aid kit for shop?

West Union, Illinois

I agree with SandFarmer477.  The cheap kits usually include things you don't need and don't include things you do need.  If you know what you re doing you can build a pretty good kit.  I tell my volunteer firefighters to take the money they want to spend on lights and get First Responder training and a good trauma kit.

I put together a First Aid station for our church.  It's centrally located in a box on the wall. I happened to buy 3-4 of the big metal First Aid boxes at an auction.

I cleaned one up, painted it white, labelled it and screwed it to the wall.  It has the normal stuff, Band-Aids, OTC pain killer, etc.  But it also has a grab and go First Aid kit

I strongly recommend farmers get First Responder training.  We tend to be places where at best it may be 20 minutes before an ambulance arrives.  Many of us a lot farther than that.  Get trained and properly equipped.  It doesn't make you an EMT but it may help keep someone alive until they get there.  And yes, I put my money where my mouth is and went through it again last winter.  It had been 5 years and I needed a refresher.

The cheap kits will include adhesive bandages (Band-Aids is a trademark) and aspirin.  Nothing wrong with them, I put one in every truck. But they're very lacking in serious situations.  A good kit will cost more than you want to spend and be worth every cent.

Something we as farmers need to have in every First Aid kit, every truck and probably in the combine is a good idea are combat application tourniquets, also know as C-A-T.

A Sheriff I know carries one on him about all the time. Stop The Bleed is a national campaign we need to all take part in.  It trains on proper use of a tourniquet and a place to get them.  You can also buy them on Amazon.  But look for C-A-T brand.  It is better.

Our fire trucks were terribly lacking in First Aid supplies so we did a little researching.  The options can get you very confused quite quickly. Just do a Google or DuckDuckGo search for First Aid Supplies.  The results are overwhelming. We ended up buying kits from Public Safety Center.

I'm not saying they are better than any other place. We just had to decide on something and at the time had what we felt was a good price on what we needed.  Another place that has a good selection is MyMedic.  They seem premium priced but they always have a promo of some kind.  10% off for signing up for emails, buy one get one 50% off, stuff like that.

Something MyMedic has that is really interesting are MedPacks, pre-packaged supplies for specific needs.  Like I said, they are premium priced but we can use the concept when making our own kits.

The first step is DO SOMETHING!

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)