AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Part 2: Have you ever had strange or unexplained experiences in remote areas?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

Texaswheat
Posted 2/5/2021 14:13 (#8809138 - in reply to #8809043)
Subject: RE: Part 2: Have you ever had strange or unexplained experiences in remote areas?

rodrod5 - 2/5/2021 13:21

Texaswheat - 2/5/2021 00:06

I’ve been through that area along 25 between Pueblo and Trinidad. Nearly ran out of fuel one time on the way back in an unfamiliar vehicle. It was during an unplanned trip and we weren’t fully prepared. We were so thankful to have made it to Trinidad. It was during hot weather. I didn’t have internet on my phone and had no idea that tornadic storm cells were nearby. Just prior to reaching New Mexico the skies suddenly became overcast and the temperature quickly dropped. Nearly drove through a rain wrapped tornado.

running out of fuel can happen easier than you think because it is in the middle of nowhere out there for a lot of the time, but the other thing that was a bit odd to me driving up that way for the first time is that all of the towns are well off of the interstate and the exits are sometimes a long way from town......so you might need to exit a mile or two before you see town and then drive a mile or two on the road you exited on to get to a gas station so you can have 5 more miles to gas from what looks like town on the map (back before the www of course)

so if you miss an exit good luck getting turned around or at least back then if you think they threw up a new CStore and gas pumps right at the exit to town well good luck with that too

if you have not been that way then you are not sure what places have gas (they all seemed to have it), but you could waste some gas if you did exit to a place that did not have gas and if you wait to see the station sign you might have passed the exit

and worst of all Alsups were a lot of them.....good because they are open 24X7, but bad because that was back when I think it was company policy to not have a public bathroom at Alsups.......plus I think Alsups come pre run down even when brand new (the newest ones probably 20 years old now) and the original ones are the worst of the worst

There is or was an old, closed Exxon gas station and restaurant somewhere north of Trinidad along 25. I’m not certain just how many miles away it is or was located. We first noticed it on the way north a number of years ago. It wasn’t until nearly running out of fuel on the way back that we really wished that place was still up and running. And a public restroom can nearly be priceless after the iced tea you drank hours before at Colorado Springs starts talking. LOL

Like you said, it’s a long way between exits too.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)