AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Tile Deduction- No tile map, only aerial photo showing "lines"
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

jakescia
Posted 2/3/2021 19:26 (#8804812 - in reply to #8804566)
Subject: RE: Tile Deduction- No tile map, only aerial photo showing "lines"

Oskaloosa, Iowa 52577

I have not prepared a Canadian return since late 1970's...……….so things could have changed.

If the amount to purchase land (not depreciable) can be allocated to the purchase of a depreciable asset..(tile).…….then the immediate deduction results in lower income taxes, and therefore the time value of money kicks in.

If I can allocate 50K to depreciable asset--- tile---- and do 179 on a portion or all of it, then that becomes 50K deduction NOW...…….and at even 15% federal income tax, + 15% federal self employment tax, + 7% Iowa income tax-------- then 15+15+7 = 37%, x 50K is 18,000 +,  immediate cash outlay reduction.

Put that 18K on deposit at 5%, or use it to pay down other notes at 5%...……..then that 18K is worth 5% each year, compounded, until the land is sold again...……..say 15--25years??

At that time the original 50K needs to be recaptured depr, and regular income taxes---- but NO Self employment taxes---------are then paid.

So...…...even if the recapture is performed as it should be at eventual sale....even though I have seldom if ever seen it happen...…..there is a savings of 15% se taxes, plus the interest that has been earned over the years.

Time value of money.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)