AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

I peel an egg in 15 seconds.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

Chris
Posted 1/24/2021 12:45 (#8777365 - in reply to #8776050)
Subject: I think everybody migh find this interesting .

East central Iowa

Mark (EC,IN) - 1/23/2021 22:01 Does it always work? I eat a boiled egg almost every day , and our dog eats one every day. It seems that sometimes the eggs just peel off with the shell intact, and other times I wind up picking off little pieces and the egg breaking apart (dog gets a crunchy egg, he doesn't mind shell, I do). I've been told if the eggs are a little older they peel better, but I don't know if that is a fact or not. So, just wonder if this is foolproof?

We've been told that old eggs are better, but after a lot of reading about eggs and boiling them I became convinced that the method we now use to boil them makes them easier to peel.

We put in about 1/4 teaspoon of salt into boiling water and then drop in the eggs.  Then about 6 minutes after the water starts to boil the eggs are removed and placed in ice water.  Sometimes the shell comes completely off, other times it doesn't but you can tell that its loose and at that point you should remove it as I did in the video.

Some eggs are sprayed or treated to replace the coating a hen puts on them.

Read this article for a full explanation.

https://slate.com/culture/2012/09/peeling-hardboiled-eggs-why-are-some-eggs-easier-to-peel-than-others-blame-carbon-dioxide.html

"Just before an egg is laid, the hen applies a protective coating to the shell called a cuticle or bloom, which slows the rate of CO2 loss and prevents contamination from microorganisms. The Agriculture Department requires that all inspected eggs be washed and sanitized, a process that removes the cuticle. However, if you buy your eggs from a farmers’ market or farm shop, the cuticle probably hasn’t been washed away, which means that the eggs will take a few days longer than their commercial counterparts to become easy to peel.

But you’re not always home free if you buy your eggs from the grocery store. About 10 percent of commercially produced eggs are sprayed with an odorless, tasteless mineral oil to replace the cuticle. The mineral oil seals the pores in the eggshell and prevents CO2 from escaping, which means that oiled eggs will never peel well. Unfortunately, processors are not required to indicate if their eggs have been coated with oil, but a slightly shiny surface is a telltale sign."

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)