AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Moving cows home from corn stalks
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Nebraska Sandhiller
Posted 1/18/2021 21:23 (#8762698)
Subject: Moving cows home from corn stalks

NNW Nebraska
No ice on the river, so we took a shortcut. About 2 miles instead of 7. Different route than we usually go, so 1st 300 yards got western, then we got them through a gate & headed towards home. 300 + head. Front one's took off on the run. Had to keep the back ones moving. They were strung out over a mile by the time the front ones crossed the river. I unrolled some hay and left a tractor running on the north side of the river. North wind so cows could hear the tractor as well as most knew where they were going. By the time we got the back of the herd to the top of the canyons, on the south side of the river, the front ones were eating hay on the north side.

We trail 100+ pairs to and from summer pasture every year. Across pastures except for about 2 miles along a highway. Stupid as cows can be, if you try to change the route, say go around a different side of a hill, you got a fight on the way. Both directions they have driven awhile, so usually don't have much problems getting them to cross the highway.

As for help, there are people that jump at the chance to trail cattle. Often they are not much help if things get western, but can keep the back of the herd moving.

Back in the days we used horses, we always got our pictures taken many times, when along the highway. When using atv's & motorcycles, not so much.

Had some "hip campers" here this spring. I let them use 2 atv's and help us move pairs about 2 miles. I saw some big smiles.

(FB_IMG_1611024070845 (full).jpg)

(FB_IMG_1611024114822 (full).jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments FB_IMG_1611024070845 (full).jpg (116KB - 210 downloads)
Attachments FB_IMG_1611024114822 (full).jpg (81KB - 127 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)