AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Upgrading Farm Network/WiFi to Ubiquity Equipment
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

rangaf
Posted 1/15/2021 13:02 (#8753436)
Subject: Upgrading Farm Network/WiFi to Ubiquity Equipment

Minneota, MN
I'm thinking about upgrading my home network and farm wifi access points to Ubiquity hardware.

I currently have an Engenius outdoor access point (2.4Ghz) that services my farm yard. To get wifi inside my steel buildings, I'm running old Linksys WRT54G access points, located inside the steel sheds, running DDWRT software in repeater mode. I'm kinda proud of myself that it actually works, especially since I have next to no investment in these old Linksys devices.

I would like to upgrade my access points to get faster throughput, and more reliable and consistent wifi service inside the steel buildings. I had originally thought to use a PTMP setup using an Ubiquity LiteAC as a base AP with NanoStation ACs for the stations, and then adding a UAP-AC-M-Pro to supply the wifi signal for outside devices to connect to ad hoc.

After thinking about this, is sure seems like overkill (in complexity and cost). I've studied the Ubiquity forums for hours and hours, and I think I could upgrade my network/wifi access using the Ubiquity mesh products and end up with a pretty solid setup.

I'm thinking I could install a UAP-AC-M-Pro, hardwired so not meshing, on the outside of my house, and use UAP-AC-Ms mounted on the outside of my steel buildings. Running an ethernet cable from the UAP-AC-Ms into the inside of the steel buildings, I could plug in an ethernet cable into the lan port of the POE injector, connecting it to various devices, like a switch, or a UAP-AC-Lite for solid wifi access inside the steel buildings. The UAP-AC-Ms would only have a one uplink hop to the UAP-AC-M-Pro, and they would act as a wireless bridge to whatever device is plugged into them inside. None of the UAP-AC-Ms would uplink to one another, they would all uplink directly to the hardwired UAP-AC-M-Pro. See attached diagram for layout.

I really like the idea of using the Unifi Controller to manage the devices while keeping it simple. Any thoughts or recommendations from anyone regarding my planned setup are more than appreciated. Thank you!

Edited by rangaf 1/15/2021 13:30

Attachments
----------------
Attachments FarmNetworkPlan.pdf (40KB - 352 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)