AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Need a PC for a farm program... is this a good one?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

nwksmilo
Posted 1/14/2021 19:31 (#8751617 - in reply to #8751289)
Subject: RE: Need a PC for a farm program... is this a good one?

Colby, KS

Dell generally aligns this way:

Inspiron is consumer (think Walmart) grade in both desktops and laptops.  Basic, generally low-end, but pretty and refined.

Vostro is base-level business class.  Basic, generally low-end, and not really worried about pretty and refined.

Optiplex is business-class desktops.  5000-series model numbers are lower end than 7000 and 8000 (generally).  They come in multiple form factors.  Small form factor can be hard to get parts for.  "Mini towers" are easier to keep running.

Latitude is business class laptops.  They are all over the board for build quality and performance.  It all depends on how they are ordered.

XPS is Dell top of the line mainstream.  They sell some through their consumer channels and business channels.  Pricey and refined.  Kind of a status symbol in my opinion.

Alienware is high performance gamer-oriented.

For running PCMars, pretty much any machine currently sold will run it. It's not complicated software.  I would be more concerned with build quality to get useful life out of it.  I would want an Optiplex mini-tower.  I would want Windows10 Pro (not home) for long time support.  Any processor with 2 or more cores faster than 2Ghz will work fine.  You will not feel improved performance going from 2-4 cores.  But you might with faster clock speed. I would say 8GB of RAM to be the minimum I would want with Windows10. RAM is dirt cheap right now, so 16GB would be even better.  I would want the main drive to be a solid state drive 512GB or bigger.  SSD's feel faster with everyday tasks than HDD.  Maybe a mechanical hard drive one as a secondary if you scan a lot of paper and do digital filing.  If you need WiFi make sure it has a wifi card.   Dell monitors are generally pretty good.  The ones they call "Ultrasharp" are gorgeous but pricey. 

Edited by nwksmilo 1/14/2021 19:32
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)