AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Wind Related Roofing Question: Steel Shingles
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

iseedit
Posted 1/14/2021 06:17 (#8749718 - in reply to #8749641)
Subject: RE: Wind Related Roofing Question: Steel Shingles

central - east central Minnesota -

TheGleaner - 1/14/2021 04:30 So after being woken up by sheet of eves about coming through my window with our lovely wind, and the dog wanting out as a result, I see, even though I didn't look too hard, that a good chunk of the eves tin on the one side are gone, along with the ridge cap and strips of shingles. I know steel shingles are recommended by a few here, do they work any better in our wind, or do they just become high speed knives? Somewhat disappointing that at 6 years they're blowing off, and probably all the way to New Rockford by morning, yet the 30 year old and 40 year old "recalled" shingles don't, even though we've been waiting for them to get blown off to put tin on. 

What you describe is lack of proper securing  of the steel edging and shingles. All asphalt based shingles require 5 nails per shingle, no less to meet wind code.

As someone pointed out, the steel shingles fasten to themselves and with fasteners, so shouldn't come off in heavy winds. Steel sheeting roofing (pole barn steel) should work well also - provided it's fastened properly.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)