AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Why metric?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

OntarioCanuck
Posted 1/13/2021 18:41 (#8748772 - in reply to #8748239)
Subject: Land measure

North of London
For those who posted that the farms/fields were laid out in feet, yards, inches and miles.
How many of your fields are exactly xx acres?

When we switched to the metric system in Canada in the 1970ies I started using hectares to measure my fields.
At that time a measuring wheel was used when a new field was laid out or a quick mathematical calculation to convert the old measure one time.

Spraying was simple, litres/ha or kgs/ha simple with no confusion.
Computer worked quite well with the switch on metric (or SI as it is officially known).

When a GPS was used to remeasure a field some knew that they could just tell it to record the size in hectares.

The only 'problem' comes when you register your info for insurance and they only use the old system converting my hectares to acres (and they have made mistakes in the past, I always tell them if it is not in my favour) and the weights from kgs, since all scales are in kgs, to lbs and then divide those lbs into units of 56 or 60 or 48 lbs and call it a 'bushel' which of course is a measure of volume

Now they claim all farmers want to convert everything all the time back to the old system and their computers are so old they can not use the metric system.
I figure they just want to keep everyone using the old system so they do not get the efficiency of using metric only.

Why do grain farmers sell their corn to an elevator in bushels while they buy it back in tonnes to feed their animals?

Using the old system is good for making mistakes when converting and uses up lots of resources of time and equipment converting back and forth.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)