AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Whole house tankless water heaters
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

MN Dave 2
Posted 1/14/2021 18:49 (#8751461 - in reply to #8750398)
Subject: RE: Whole house tankless water heaters

We built a new house in 08 and installed a Rinnai tankless. One of the big selling points for me was their long warrentee. Living in MN, the first winter was a disaster. The air intake/exhaust vent was installed on the north side of our house about 3' above ground. I don't want to know how many times I shoveled the )((&*&^&* snow away a l l w i n t e r l o n g from the vent. Trust me, shoveling it out during a blizzard is not my idea of fun. The next summer another $500 to install a higher intake/exhaust solved the problem. The next summer it started to make a humming noise and discovered during a service call we had to clean the moths/bugs out of the unit fan in our basement as there was no screen over the air intake. In the 3-4 years that the water heater worked it was nice to have unlimited hot water. The few second delay to get hot water was kinda a pain, but not a big deal. On about year 5, a small internal copper tube sprung a water leak under pressure inside the rinnai cabinet and soaked ALL the internal electronic components etc. Foolish me, I thought, no problem, well within the factory warrenntee time frame. I found out that while the $10 pipe MIGHT be covered, the labor to replace it wasn't, and oh, by the way, no electronic componeants would be covered from water damage either.

We bought a 80 gallon water heater from our electric supplier and haven't really noticed much difference in cost or hot water supply.

DON'T BUY A RINNAI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)