AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Don’t think no-till works
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Fraz IA
Posted 1/13/2021 11:10 (#8747803 - in reply to #8747676)
Subject: RE: No-till saves nitrogen costs

Again, no such thing as "forever". In my opinion, anybody who claims anything is "forever" should be only be listened to with a healthy dose of skepticism.

It's a complicated system that is impossible to "calculate" to an exact "solution".

Nitrogen is always cycling - your "depleting recycling storing adding" comment. It's about where you're at in that cycle and how efficient you are that matters in this context.

To re-state my comment above - the take home message should be that good long term no-till with good soil biology can help to minimize losses from the system such as leaching and denitrification, thereby requiring fewer additions to optimize yields. I'm not saying no-till is the best, most profitable, most sustainable system everywhere. Too many variables in play for that. Similarly to the claim of "forever", anybody that claims "everywhere" should also only be listened to with skepticism.

My advice is stop worrying about who says what and think about it for yourself... logically, not emotionally.

Edit to Add: The best answer is almost always - "IT DEPENDS".

Edited by Fraz IA 1/13/2021 11:14
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)