AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Calving/ Sheep/ Hay Barn
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

dabeegmon
Posted 1/15/2021 11:21 (#8753141 - in reply to #8746328)
Subject: RE: Calving/ Sheep/ Hay Barn

SE Manitoba
akweng - 1/12/2021 20:05

I’m in the process of putting up a 40x100 hoop building. My plan is to use it for calving heifers as well as lambing and the rest hay storage. Here is my drawing for initial layout. Let me know what you’d change or add/ remove. I already have a set of fence line headlock feeders I thought I’d set in to feed heifers and use as a petition between hay area. Thanks in advance for all advice.

Sheep will like waltz right through the heifer headlocks so am thinking you need some like of a partition - - - maybe even a wall there.
You will need room to maneuver in there so I would have at least 3' between the partition and the feeding area so that might be about 5' from partition wall to headlocks.
You don't mention how many cattle or sheep so some of the following is flying quite blind!
Need more than one heifer pen - - at least 2 if not more - - depends upon numbers and timing but I would say 2 as a minimum.
Same kind of thing for lambing jugs - - - - I found that having about 20% jugs for ewes is ok 25% is better - - - some guys jug everything - - - - but that is more work for feeding and watering!
You have an inside waterer for the cattle - - - I would stick at least one nose bowl (dairy tie stall drinker) in the sheep side. (One nose bowl per 20 to 25 sheep.)
In fact I'd tend to move the cattle waterer outside - - - dumb turkeys like to crap right where they drink - - - sheep not so much.
If you're going to leave the cattle waterer inside you need to have at least 10 if not 15' between the waterer and the feeder fence.

Suggest that everything but waterer be mobile - - - after a season you'll want to change something (if not more than that) and welding into or into concrete makes changes more challenging.
You could even make the waterers mobile but that's more challenging.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)