AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Shower problem
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

ccjersey
Posted 1/13/2021 10:00 (#8747662 - in reply to #8744786)
Subject: RE: Shower problem

Faunsdale, AL
A new built up concrete base properly installed over a membrane will come closer to matching the old one and mating up with the tile surround.

However, if you have rot under and behind the masonry and tile, then just as well take it all out and start over. You have to remember, tile and masonry are not water proof. They won’t be damaged by water, but they’re not water proof, so a proper waterproof membrane over a substrate sloped to the drain is essential to protect the structure.

I’m no expert, only ever installed one tile bathroom floor and shower, but from the research I’ve done and things I’ve read since I did that project, it seems there are a lot of tile jobs done taking shortcuts. Most anything will look good for a few years, especially if it’s seldom used, but a quality job will stand up to children and time!

I had a tile contractor in to do my job but when I required a top quality job, they left. So I had to do it myself. Wife wasn’t too happy with me when they left, but I got it done and it’s been great.

My situation was making a bathroom in an existing space in an old house where nothing is standard dimension and very little is square and plumb. It seemed a tile job was the best solution.

Edited by ccjersey 1/13/2021 10:04
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)