AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Traction accounting
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

Flagship
Posted 1/3/2021 12:29 (#8719102 - in reply to #8711403)
Subject: RE: Traction accounting

Scott,

The other side of the coin, is that automatically-updated cloud based software can be a benefit but also a curse.

I've used QuickBooks for a long time, both desktop and online versions. Some automatic updates for QuickBooks Online have been released which killed or crippled a feature or introduced a critical new bug...when that happens, all you can do is complain and wait for a patched update to be installed. You're at their mercy--and this is for a system that serves millions of users (so lots of incentive not to tick off customers). The big problem is that it's not easy to roll out an online update for testing among, say, 100 users, because in most cases every online users is accessing their data from the same database. So everybody gets the update, sometimes too quickly, and that's when stuff hits the fan.

Another factor:  even with server redundancy, etc., QuickBooks Online has still had several service outages--one of them was 48 hours in the early days of QBO. All of the folks claiming "99% uptime" are blowing smoke of the marketing hype variety:  I don't care what their uptime claim is if I need access to my accounting records right now but the service is down. It happens, and when it does you're helpless. With desktop QB I have my own redundancy by having it installed on two computers at two separate locations, and QBox gives me shared access to the same QB data from both locations via the Internet, for $10 a month.

Yes, desktop updates can be a hassle, especially for some people, but I prefer them any day to automated updates. I have control over which updates get applied, and when. I never install a QB desktop update the day it is released...because just like the cloud software updates, sometimes they introduce a critical new bug which wrecks everything until a patch is released. I always wait a few days until word is out that an update is stable. And I never install *any* update at critical times of year--like during tax prep, when I don't want to run the risk of an update keeping me from getting reports.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)