AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Lost hard drive followup thanks H3f
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

ktululives
Posted 12/5/2020 14:16 (#8647556 - in reply to #8647532)
Subject: RE: Lost hard drive followup thanks H3f

The Mint system had a version of office programs with it and I opened and used a few of those. They seem much the same. I'm not tied to needing MS Office but do worry about compatibility when sharing files with others that use office.

I'm assuming it was probably called LibreOffice? Years ago it was called "OpenOffice", but it split into two projects (basically the same thing, two groups of people, started with the same thing and went in slightly different directions - the why is a long story) LibreOffice being the more popular and actively developed of the two. It is free and open source, and I believe it is available for Windows as well. As far as compatibility goes, to the best of my knowledge it can open files from Microsoft Office, and you can save in Microsoft Office formats, but you have to manually select the format under "save as".

https://www.libreoffice.org

If you're kind of computer savvy, consider playing around with Linux Mint for a while. There are drawbacks to linux, but there are advantages as well. I sure wouldn't say it's for everybody, but I haven't had Windows installed on a computer of mine in a long, long time. Once you get used to the way it's laid out and the shortcuts and what-not, I think you'll appreciate how lightweight, streamlined and easy on resources it is, but it can maybe take quite a while to get comfortable with it.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)