AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Is cholesterol bad for you?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

cfdr
Posted 12/5/2020 13:49 (#8647518 - in reply to #8646652)
Subject: RE: Is cholesterol bad for you?

Interesting video. For years I've been telling my wife that they don't know s**t - she is starting to believe me, I think. (G). Over morning tea, after that link we clicked on a presentation by Lustig, and he mostly irritated me. He is so sure of himself, but I could explain - better than he did - why it was when people cut back on sugar they did not get better. Then I clicked on a video by Gary Taubes, and what a difference. It was getting late, so we didn't watch much of it at all, but as I expected, he was describing what data they did have and pointing out the lack of data in what they were trying to look at. Taubes, I think, is the most data driven of anyone.

One thing missed - I think it was in Lustig's video - was how we came to evolve to where we are. My thought is that we are similar to bears rather than pure grazers - or pure predators. Our bodies will, when given excess calories, store the energy. This is similar to grazers, of course, since there is a survival advantage to put on fat reserves. Pure hunters (lions and wolves?), however, (and this is my guess, of course), if times are too good and they put on reserves (fat), might get too slow to catch prey for awhile - and it might be a disadvantage if when they lose enough fat to catch the prey they are in a weakened state. Their prey is pretty much always available, while food for grazers is not always there. It is an advantage for pure predators to stay "lean and mean" I think. Humans were never that physically capable of hunting because of speed or strength - they relied on their brains more. Again, this is just my guesses. Bears can go either way - they will eat meat when available, but when it is not, they can graze. They hibernate, so they need the energy reserves. It seems to me this is why we humans will utilize the fat in meat - as long as we have sufficient amounts of carbs to process it. This is why the threshold is there with carbs. Above that threshold our bodies can process and store energy from fat. Below that we simply pass it through. This is why pure predators remain "lean and mean" - but bears get fat.

Again, just my frustration with Lustig got me thinking about this. These are merely my guesses. FWIW.

We always enjoy the videos you point out. Thanks.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)