AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

photo sorting software
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 12/5/2020 08:21 (#8646782 - in reply to #8646647)
Subject: RE: photo sorting software

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
I don't have a good suggestion. I really should clean up and organize my pics better myself. I don't have too terribly many and have been fairly good about organizing them in folders for trips etc. I get sloppy with the day to day pics of Farm Equipment etc. I think I will try to do this manually. I will probably delete quite a few. I should rename all pictures with a descriptive name which should help find them.

The sorting process reminded me of a project I was asked to work on a few years ago. Four local guys rode their motorcycles from Minnesota to Alaska and back. They each took digital pictures with various devices such as cameras and smartphones. My close friend asked me to combine them to make a logical package or Album of sorts.

I felt this would be fairly easy. I was very wrong. My plan was to organize the pictures by date. My thought was to end up with a slide show of their pictures where I would have a divider slide made with some software between each day. The divider would state Day 1 - Leaving Home etc.

After trying to sort them by date I realized that this was not working. I could tell by their clothing that the pictures were not be separated into the correct days. The pictures from Jim's camera showed certain clothing for a certain day. The pictures from Willie's camera for the same day showed different clothing.

It then dawned on me that the dates and times on the individual cameras and phones were not correct. Some of the phones had the correct date but did not adjust for the time zone changes while others did. One guys older digital camera was not even close o the dates as the date had to be reset manually which he didn't understand. That camera also had different resolutions and it was set to a low resolution so as to get more pictures on the memory card. That meant that his pics were cropped and of poor quality compared to the others. It turned out to be quite a mismatch.

One guy's pictures didn't seem to have any rhyme or reason to them. It turns out that he had given them to his Granddaughter to organize. She ran them through some piece of software which she thought would organize them. It sorted them out but it was very confusing. I essentially moved all the individual folders that it had made into one folder and then went from there.

I was finally successful. The end product wasn't that great as the pictures repeated a lot. For example, each guy took a couple of pictures of the group crossing the border into Canada or various points along the way. Those pictures were essentially the same but from different cameras. Turns out a good share of the pictures were of the same four guys with the same four motorcycles which after a while was quite boring. I spent a fair amount of time on the project and really don't know if my "slide show' was ever shown much.

Edited by tedbear 12/5/2020 08:25
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)