AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

How can I force my HP printer to print black only?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 12/5/2020 08:57 (#8646890 - in reply to #8644579)
Subject: HP OK with me

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
Despite the hate for HP here, I actually get along with them quite well. I have one of the cheap ink jets mentioned in the other posts. I don't print a lot. I participate in HP's Ink Jet Program. For $3.21/month, I'm supplied with the black/white and ink cartridges. The printer reports my use to HP. I'm in the lowest usage level of this plan for the $3.21. This allows me to print 50 pages/month.

If I go over 50 pages/month, I am warned by email that I am getting close with the advice that I may want to jump to the next higher level. If I exceed the 50 pages, I am charged a surcharge for the next billing cycle. If I don't use all 50 pages, the excess is carried forward into the next month. The system keeps track of the ink levels and new cartridges magically arrive in the mail prior to my running out of ink. This means I have a fixed cost of $ 38.52 per year as long as I don't exceed the 50 pages/month. I am willing to pay this given the convivence factor.

The cartridges I get from HP are the larger size since it is to their advantage not to have to send me cartridges all the time. The new cartridges include a postage paid sack to send the spent cartridges back to HP.

The only time I run into problems is at tax time where I might print a lot of black/white reports.

A while back we lost a young man in the neighboring town who had a computer repair shop. He was amazing as he was blind. He was able to repair computers, setup satellite TV etc. despite his handicap. He did need a driver to get him around. He was killed in a tragic vehicle accident. This meant the end of his business. His mother had a dispersal sale of his tools, test equipment etc. I attended and purchased several items. One was his HP LaserJet Printer. I had no idea of its condition but it had a test page printed out so I felt it was possibly usable. They had a price of only $20 on it so I bought it. I felt that even if it didn't work for me, the family could certainly use the money.

I connected it to my Win 10 computer one day and fired things up. The system recognized the printer and loaded the correct drivers. The printer works very well but is only black/white which means that I use it for black/white jobs but still use the other printer for color work. I suspect I will need the supplies for the laser someday which will likely be fairly expensive but for now I'm in good shape.

Edited by tedbear 12/5/2020 08:58
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)