AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Starting a Custom Feed Mixing Business
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

LJR
Posted 11/29/2020 12:57 (#8632667 - in reply to #8629059)
Subject: RE: Starting a Custom Feed Mixing Business

NW Ohio
I’ve been working up to this same idea. I currently mix around 50 ton a month for myself and am looking to double that in the next 3 years. My current system isn’t efficient so would like to update for my own use, when I can swing that I will overbuild to have the option to mix “commercially”. Currently have a tandem axle bulk feed truck, a semi with bulk feed trailer and looking to add a hopper. For me inbound ingredients like bean meal, DDG, hulls, etc isn’t an issue. Same as your micro mixes because there is an ingredient distribution center within 45 miles. Costly problems to solve would be grain storage, I believe a large chunk of potential business “here” would be holstein steer rations so a lot of corn passing through. Thinking about a commodity building much like LKM built and had posted pics of on here. Have some grain bins and small bulk bins for ingredients I don’t want on the ground in bays feeding into the building from outside augers. I know in my area there is a decent demand for bulk cracked corn so that would probably be a good profit center as well to be able to move hopper bottom loads of cracked corn. Use a loader to feed a ribbon mixer that’s has certified scales and load into bulk trucks or totes from there.

Edit to add-

Another branch of this business I’ve been looking into is electric soybean roasters and extruders to make my own bean meal. Or offer custom extruding for organic beans, sunflower, etc.

Edited by LJR 11/29/2020 13:07
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)