AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Starting a Custom Feed Mixing Business
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Lb94
Posted 11/28/2020 18:17 (#8631024 - in reply to #8630793)
Subject: RE: Starting a Custom Feed Mixing Business

West Central Illinois
LKM - 11/28/2020 15:39

Lb94 - 11/28/2020 06:13

dabeegmon - 11/27/2020 20:17

AllisHunter - 11/27/2020 18:10

Has anyone ever started mixing feed for others based on custom rations that they have wanted? There seems to be a lack of places in my area that will take the time to mix feed as to how you want it. I have thought that a service of testing customer's hay for them and then mixing a ration that would compliment their hay to be a good possible idea. I can not imagine there is a whole lot of equipment required to mix and sell feed compared to other ag businesses? Has anyone tried this and what are your thoughts? I am a young guy trying to think of any business that might help me stay on the farm. Thank You all

Others have already mentioned regulations.

Dunno about 'there' but 'here' if its a ration for ONE operation then you don't need very much oversight.
Now if you make a sheep mix or a calf grower ration - - - - meaning something you sell to lost of people, a very different story.
One huge hurdle is finding your mineral/vitamin ingredients in volumes that you have room for and can afford and sell fairly quickly.
The wholesalers I've contacted like to sell in 1 ton lots.
You know how many years that would take if its Selenium or Iodine or Cobalt to get rid of a ton of the stuff.
Vitamin stuff goes off in far too short a time - - - - another problem.
Still think there's room but freight will always be an issue.

Good Luck!!!

A lot of them will claim they only will sell straight minerals and premixes in 1 ton lots but the feed ingredient distributor I work for we sell a lot of partial mixed pallets of ingredients to mills that order weekly like the big outfits purina, adm, etc. Its moreso that we dont like to do it but we do it to keep their business.

I'd say if this idea gets off the ground on the ingredient side if things dont be afraid to call around and quote and be honest about what kind of volumes and service you need. Very competitive industry somebody is always out there trying to rope in new business.

How would your most common customer receive their minerals? Super sacks? Bulk Shipments of what quantities? Ive seen several micro mills but always wonder how they are getting their raw stock to make the premixes. Do you normally ship combination bulk loads with multiple bulk ingredients on one trailer?

Pretty much everything mentioned. Certain ingredients people want in 50 lb bags, others will take the more macro ingredients like dical, magox, red k etc. in totes amd micros like zinc, copper and selenium premixes in 50s. Then some plants are big enough they'll even take a full load of a beef/swine/poultry premix in a hopper bottom. We've got such a wide array of customers from some of the biggest operations in the country to small feedmills like you mentioned.

We ship combo loads all the time on dryvans with whatever their grocery list is for the week/month. If that means a pallet of 5 bg urea/20 bg of bicarb and 15 bags of dical then that's what they get. Not exactly the most efficient for picking and staging in the warehouse but we do it because that's what they.

Have always wanted to get the idea of utilizing convertible hoppers shipping a partial bulk load of whatever product and throw a couple pallets on the tail as I have a few smaller trucking companies that have a good pool of them with the cargo doors on the back but it never really took off
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)