AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Pick me out an Angus bull.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

beanplanter
Posted 11/26/2020 14:15 (#8626632)
Subject: Pick me out an Angus bull.

Missouri

I’m looking for bull suggestions with the goal of producing some attractive F1s for in herd use. 

I’d rather keep the semen price below $500 and it either needs to be proven to reverse sort or be able to be tracked down in sexed heifer. Epds are nice, but this really needs to be a proven bull that people will recognize and respect in and out of the pasture when reading the pedigree. A line bred stack would be a plus.

The cow is 55” or around a 6.5 frame and I’d be ok with taking her down to a 6. She ranges from 1,500 to 1,600 pounds at weaning depending on the year and I would rather her range from 1,400 to 1,500 pounds. She is a heavy milker and while I do not wish to change that, she has proven she can carry a low milk bull. Udder scores a 77 and I do not want to wreck it. If you exclude a twin and an outlier 12 calves have ranged between 80 and 95lbs. I am fine with a 80-90 pound bw and do not want to give up cow power to lower it anymore than that. She has a really nice foot, but when bred to a shallow heel she threw a still functional but shallow heel, so it’s one thing that needs avoided. You could serve Thanksgiving dinner on her top, she had a monster pelvic score, and her base width is outstanding, none of which I want to give up. She is a little heavy fronted so something that is proven to throw clean feminine fronted daughters would be a plus. Docility needs to be kept on the safe side. Fertility is baked into her and I would prefer the bull’s mother to be the same way. I definitely do not want to use an androgynous bull for this project as the daughters will be outcrossed in that direction.

I’m open to a pretty wide spectrum of bulls and prefixes, so what would you suggest?

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)