AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Live cattle
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

t rock
Posted 11/24/2020 21:52 (#8622625 - in reply to #8622059)
Subject: RE: Live cattle

Tablerock Ranch eastern Wa
Cow calf rancher with no farming enterprise is almost no more than a steward of an overpriced land holding company, no longer relevant financially for its original purpose. The price of ranching land is so high there is no business model I could imagine that could possibly provide a feasible ROI that any other business would require or expect ! if you wanted to purchase a ranch capable of running say a 1200 head cow calf operation right now in most of the country you would have to expect to pay a minimum of $20,000,000 and that ranch would probably not be all deeded land but a mix of owned state/fed land . 20 million lets say you put 5 mil down and finance $15,000,000 @15 years with annuals of $1,350,000 ---- now lets sell those 1200 calves which by the way all lived and required no feed no vet no labor or expense of any kind and grossed the rancher $ 850 over a ten year average for a total of $1,020,000 ---- wow that genius rancher lost $300,000 the first year before one expense hit the books. I for one am not raising an eyebrow anymore when I see these old multi generational ranches hit the market, if I didn't have grandsons that express the desire to carry on the ranching tradition I would arm wrestle my son to bail out and sit under a palm tree and drink umbrella drinks.
Saying that, I love what I do ! my farm and ranches dirt is crammed so deep under my fingernails it will never be gone ! but after this years garbage with the pack making fools of us again and no effective change on the horizon I for one am pissed and have had a bellyful of this Bull ##it, at what point in time does a person start to think they are a stupid business person to not punt the ball.

RANCHERS ARE THE POOREST RICH PEOPLE I KNOW ! so with that gut spilling diatribe I will second Carlsons assessment " no western rancher is getting rich at these prices "
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)