AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Grid sampling and VRF
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

GOOSEPILOT
Posted 10/31/2020 06:36 (#8577374 - in reply to #8577299)
Subject: RE: Grid sampling and VRF

WC Mn/Dakotas
Firstgenfarmer - 10/31/2020 05:13

If you let the spreader go to zero you are drawing down the soil, so you will have to apply more in the future. I use the soil test, grain removal, and total plant uptake numbers when determining what fertilizer to spread. I always variable rate the lime. However, depending on the soil tests and my budgets variable rate fertilizer isn’t always the best answer in my situation. Just my thoughts, not necessarily right or wrong.

That is precisely the objective. If the tests show excess P, why would you spend more money that actually makes the situation worse? You go to zero until you draw it down to the sweet range and watch things start to click. Then you up the rates in areas that have been under fertilized for decades and you produce more there too. Its about maximizing roi. Kind of a waste if you don't make some major adjustments. Most are not comfortable though and don't want to accept that poor areas are as poor or good areas aren't as good as they really are. Doing gut decisions overriding the data leaves most of the benefits unrealized.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)