AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Who makes the best rock box?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

olivetroad
Posted 10/19/2020 08:02 (#8553198 - in reply to #8551623)
Subject: RE: Who makes the best rock box?

Kingdom of Callaway - Fulton, Mo 65251

Robert W Greif - 10/18/2020 11:28 David, I do not really know how I would get along without rock boxes on tractors. There is a rock box on every tractor I have that goes to the field. Except for my Dad’s Oliver 2255, really old keepsake, and I want it like it was when Dad ran it. They are used for many other things besides rocks. A super toolbox, can carry chains, a pry bar, spade, etc. Extra bag of seed corn while planting, if run out at the far end of a field. Not going to name a favorite brand. I have several K & M boxes. Note: K & M are the tractor seat people, have boxes for most tractors, their website has lots of info. Also have one box by Dose Steelworks of Bouton Iowa, the Headhunter head trailer people. Rockbox vs front weights. My tractors are all two wheel drive, so I really do not need extra front weight. Do add weight to the big Allis , mostly because the auto-steer works better. If I need front weight I put some of my collection of old weights in the box. If just a few under 100 pounders, do it by hand. Heavier weights would use a loader and chain. Remove by dumping the box. Also there are heavier boxes. Made of 1”, 2” or even thicker plate steel. Plus some boxes have a ledge that plate steel plates can be stacked on and bolted in place. There are two tractors I have that may at times be loader tractors. On these I remove the box. At least on my two Whites, this is real easy. Loader or a come-along hanging from something. Really easier with the come-along. Also I have a rear rock box that mounts on the three point for extra weight. This is the Dose box, 1” plate by 4’ wide. Pretty heavy, plus it will hold a lot of old cast weights. Having a bottom dump? If you just want it for a toolbox, I guess a bottom dump would be ok, but really think you just as well have the dump. Also a good place to mount a extra toolbox, or extra lights. Have put 15 gallon spot sprayer tanks on for clean wash water. Nice for spraying, really other times. Have one with a 55 gallon spray tank on and a hydraulic pump. Fire truck for combining season. My feeling on comments by other posters: On the dump latch coming loose and dropping the contents of the box. - It has never happened to me. Not saying it could not. Most of the time I dump by hitting the deal that holds the lever with a hammer. Most of the time will have to back the tractor up to be able to raise the door back up into place. Stacking picked up rocks. Pretty sure it would be just as easy or easier to dump them, then stack Vs Removing them from the box by hand. Top picture - Front box on 7080. Filled with old weights. #2- Removing box from White 2-105 for the loader. This is with a small hoist on a track I have in the shed. Real easy job. #3- 7080 with front and rear boxes. #4- View from the cab of the rear weight box while chiseling. #5- The fire engine on the 4630. Will shoot water about 50’. Use a Milford air male for a nozzle. 55 gallon will last about five minutes, on all the time. #6- Box on White 2-155. Has extra lights on a angle iron cross bar. Also two tool boxes. One in front, one on side [left side in pic] Under side toolbox is a Micro-Trak ultra sound speed sensor. Pretty old picture, those speed deals are pretty much long gone. #7- Deere 4630 planting beans. Has a 15 gallon tank on the box, filled with water. Can be nice to have. #8- White 2-155 with newer 32” K & M box. Picture above was a 24”. Has a water tank and toolboxes. Also radar gun is mounted at rear of the box. #9- My renter’s Deere 4960. Has a farmer built or shop built box mounted in front of weights. Does not have a bottom dump. Now replaced with a factory rock box. Since this tractor is seldom used for heavy tillage the front weights were removed. But this year with a Deere 1790 planter, several front weight were put in the box. #10- A Dose Steelworks rock box made of I think 3” plate steel #11- Box of unknown brand mounted on a Challenger MT7xxx. Of what looks like 1-1/2” or 2” plate. Has a in box toolbox. Also looks like extra plate steel under the toolbox for more weight. Also looks like a out the front dump, vs bottom dump. #12- This would really be nice some times. A rock box mounted boom and winch to lift those big ones. Sure better than ‘Come back with loader to get later’, then go back with the loader and cannot find the thing. GPS can solve that. Made by Ag-Storm in Minnesota, pretty close to Collegeboy . #13- Have seen several of these. Most of the time on 4x4 bend in the middles, but a few on row crops or two track machines. Low, so would be easy to get larger rocks into. Not self dumping.

Good morning Robert!

Wow!  Thank you for the information and the photos!  I like the idea of your neighbors homemade box in photo #9.  I think I could bolt it to my existing weights.  But it would sure stick out pretty far?  I think I will go today and figure out what my weights and weight bracket actually weigh and find out what weight of box I would need to replace it.  Thanks again for all the good ideas!

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)