AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Anybody ever regret going from drill to row planter for beans
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

boog
Posted 10/18/2020 08:05 (#8551252 - in reply to #8551177)
Subject: RE: Anybody ever regret going from drill to row planter for beans

Pretty much the same experience here. Ive planted beans in about every row width there is: from broadcast, to drill, 15", 20", 30", & 36", though not in that order. WhenI started drilling beans I was at 200,000, but dropped to 175,000 for years.
I even ran tria,so in drilled beans running rates as low as 75,000. Didnt see much difference in yjelds, but that was before gmo beans & weed control was the biggest issue in the ultra low rates. I also did trials for a few years comparing drilled, q5", & 30" beans. Again, no significant yield difference, usual,y within 1 -1.5 bpa difference, drilled best in dry conditions, 30s in wet.,& 15s averaged best overall all conditions. When we went to 15" beans we were planting 160,00 - 175,000 depending on variety & soil types. Now were at 125,000 - 140,000.

I will add 2 comments, a planter will give you better depth control & spacing. Depends how much importance you put on those. I feel depth control is more important than spacing. Other is, until just the last few years my highest bean yield came back in the early '70s using conventionall beans in 36" rows.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)