AgTalk is committed to operating without commercial advertising. Our fall donation drive is now open.

AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

3020 flex head question.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Dirtpoor
Posted 10/18/2020 11:57 (#8551658 - in reply to #8551124)
Subject: RE: 3020 flex head question.

Hazelton, Kansas 6.75 miles N of Crowbar
Bought a couple 35' with hyd. adjust this fall. Used to have a draper to swath canola. I like simple so looking at a draper makes me cringe. Neighbor has JD flex drapers. His cost of ownership is out of this world. T posts, culvet markers, etc. and draper belts don't seem get along. Another neighbor runs a 35' JD hydra flex and added a 40' MacDon this fall. I rode with him and the MacDon yesterday. It worked fine but I didn't see "Jesus". Have a friend that Custom harvested for yrs. He sold out this summer. Was running a CaseIH draper on his machines. Had him ride with me cutting in a field that had 4.5' to 8" tall beans in it. Rode a couple rounds and blurterd out "you don't need a draper". Went down the list of negatives. They have so many moving parts, they are so damn heavy, they hate t post and road signs (see neighbor #1), and cost so much. So back to the 3020 heads. Both of mine have bad auger finger crank problems. First one had had a new auger installed and the cranks were out of time plus they forgot/didn't want to install the center flight extensions which caused huge problems. Once I got that straightened out It worked fantastic. Then the second one started clicking the fingers on floor on the left side. Raised auger up a little and retimed. Ran an hr and blam. Broke off all fingers on the left side. Previous operator had broken the crank on the left side and tried to weld/fix through an inspection hole. Finished harvest doing a comparison of a full finger vs non finger auger on the same head. My observations make me think either CaseIH has some assembly issues or operators running them could screw up an anvil with a feather (maybe both). At any rate I would check out the augers very closely. There are paint marks at all the timing points (internal and external). If these have been changed it would raise a red flag for me. Dirt
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)