AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Making lumber
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

clevepreach
Posted 10/16/2020 12:50 (#8548851 - in reply to #8548612)
Subject: RE: Making lumber

Cleveland, MS. Own small farm near Booneville, MS

That orange bar with the hook on one end and the black handle on the other looks to me like WORK! Back in the 1970s my older brother went in partners with a guy on what they called a "ground hog sawmill" for some winter income. Mostly, they were sawing cross ties for the railroad. When I was about 14 or 15 years old he talked me into off bearing one day. There has GOT to be an easier way to make a living. A few years later this same guy had gotten himself a bigger mill and a crew. I stopped by one day just killing time. They were taking a break at the time but I was asked if I would like to make a few dollars since one of the crew didn't show up that day. Sure, why not, as long as it's not off bearing. He handed me a cant hook and put me to turning logs on the carriage. Again, there has GOT to be an easier way to make a living. That's the extent of my experience with a sawmill. But my dad did a lot of sawmill work during the Depression. Even spent a year or so in the "boot toe" of Louisiana cutting timber with a crosscut saw.

By the way, I don't think the guy ever did pay me for an afternoon of "pole turning."

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)