AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Corn row width
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

GOOSEPILOT
Posted 10/16/2020 10:51 (#8548702 - in reply to #8547814)
Subject: RE: Corn row width

WC Mn/Dakotas
Yes you know to the penny the cost difference per row for equipment, but harder to get an idea of production roi. I dont know (have not directly tested personally), but I do have customers with 15, 22, 30 beans and 22 or 30" corn. I put the same population theories for vrt pops as well as fertility on all dpacings. I think the biggest difference is how many boxes an operator checks and how well they execute those tasks is a bigger divider than row spacing. On the above average operators, I dont see a big yield difference. Having said that though overall, it does kinda seem like those on 22" tend to have higher farm avg on some years than the 30" guys. I think spacing becomes a bigger issue when you start really getting above avg yields vs avg or lower yield scenarios. High yields require more consistent plant to plant and you just have more wiggle room inter-row with narrower rows. There is no getting around that. The further north you are the more the sun angle and row space relationship comes into play. If you do a real good job planting and can control weeds without spraying late, I don't see why 30" would be giving up much if any.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)