AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Soil grids
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Ron..NE ILL..10/48
Posted 10/17/2020 04:58 (#8549727 - in reply to #8549421)
Subject: RE: Soil grids

Chebanse, IL.....

KS-Notill

This has been our experience also. Again, this may be a "here" thing. But let's say we have a 1/4 mi x 1/2 mi straight edge 80. We have several. Maybe 3 soil types (here) with the predominant making 70% of the 80. Slope will be 0-1 degree. Field would be adequately drained. Certainly not uncommon in NE IL.

So, how many points would be sampled (not probed, sampled) in zone testing? Would all zone testers choose the same number of samples? If not, is it possible to choose the wrong company to utilize zone testing? 

In our typical "little squares" of 2.5 A grids, we'd have  a minimum of 32 grids in that field. Surely in our 330' x 330' tests we would hit all the zones, wouldn't we? There would be no doubt. 

That field would cost about $500 to have gps tested with recs & prescription files supplied for our spreader. My spreader does seem to like to spread squares. I don't have the new "half-width" disconnect now being offered. Not sure that is necessary anyway.

Covid mask effectiveness on controlling the virus certainly seems debatable. Not by true believers, but by a big % of the population that is skeptical.

JD vs IH combines is also debatable. I doubt you'll find many owners of $500,000+ combines these days saying "I don't care which I get, they're equal....".

Point is, whichever one is doing is probably OK. However, the other side of all these choices seem to chastise those that don't utilize their stance. 

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)