AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Home heating propane vs. heat pump?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

caleb2684
Posted 10/20/2020 10:57 (#8555211 - in reply to #8555099)
Subject: RE: Home heating propane vs. heat pump?

Aggieland
I'm not stuck in the 60s I can assure you that. As a second generation air conditioning contractor I feel as though I am very qualified to make such statements in 2020. Physics is hard to argue with. You can only transfer so much heat per pound of refrigerant at various temperatures. Yes your heat pump will heat your house at zero degrees WITH supplemental heat ie heat strips or a furnace. I can assure you your system has heat strips in it that allow for it to heat at those temps unless you're talking about mini splits. New inverters (mini splits & 17SEER or higher) are able to heat better at lower outdoor temperatures and the technology is advancing rapidly but I will stand by my statement about a heat pumps general ability to heat well below 45 degrees.

One side note that I do like to put out there about heat pumps is that we (air conditioning contractors) as an industry have done a poor job of educating customers about how a heat pump works and our new modern thermostats and government advice make it even worse. A heat pump is not an effective generator of heat but it is a very efficient maintainer of heat. The proper way to run a heat pump is to pick a single temperature in the winter and leave it there 24/7. We've been taught to raise the cool temp/lower the heat temp when we go to work and that is horrible advice for heat pumps.

Thanks for the reply and I hope my response doesn't come off as arrogant or rude.

Caleb

tooth and nail - 10/20/2020 09:45

caleb2684 - 10/13/2020 20:56

I’m going to say you made the right choice going propane. A heat pump loses its ability to transfer heat when the outdoor temp gets below about 45 degrees. At that point you need auxiliary heat. Sure you can the ac but you’re not going to be comfortable in the heat mode. The other thing of note is the outlet air temp of a heat pump is about 80 degrees which will feel cool to the touch. If the space is small and you’re going to feel the air a lot of people will get the sense they are getting colder rather than warmer. Best system you could buy is a heat pump with gas auxiliary heat.

Caleb

You need to get out of the 60's , modern heat pumps work below zero. Now long periods below zero can be a problem, but mine has worked well with 2 days of zero and 1 -5, in a row. I have no other heat source.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)