AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Integra won’t map
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 10/6/2020 06:35 (#8532347 - in reply to #8532301)
Subject: RE: Integra won’t map

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
Boundaries can be very useful and they can prevent the "map is there but really small" issue. As mentioned "clearing bounds" while at the field may help. If a "flyer" (bad GPS point way out of the field) gets recorded, the system shrinks the map so much that you think that it is gone when in fact it is just really small.

The first time this happened to me I couldn't understand how auto swath was still working properly to control my planter clutches. Actually everything was there but the map was really small. The procedure of clearing bounds needs to be done while at the field and not in the dooryard. The system will then discard any GPS points that are a considerable distance away from your current location under the assumption they are in error. Don't do this in the the dooryard as this could confuse the delete flyers procedure. After you perform the process, nothing seems to change on that screen and you may think nothing has happened. When you return to the more normal operating screen your map hopefully is back to the size you were expecting.

Another thing that can help somewhat is to never go to a new field until you are actually there. This seems to lessen the chances that an inappropriate GPS dot gets recorded away from the actual field. I used to have this problem quite often with an older Ag Leader and my planter. If I was planting a field but came home to refill with seed and fertilizer, I would typically lower the planter at home to add seed. This caused a "dot" to be recorded at home. I would then raise the planter and drive to the field which could be some distance away. The Map would attempt to show the real "dots" but also the one from home meaning it had to shrink the map excessively. These dots could be cleaned up in SMS but it was best that they didn't happen.

I lost GPS last night in the combine. Maybe my old Raven Phoenix 200 on WAAS has given up on me. It has been utterly reliable for many years. I need to do a quick check on the wiring. I may have lost power or something simple. It happened when I was turning around doing some headlands. I can move one of my Ag Leader 6500s from a tractor to the combine but will need a different cable. The Ag Leader switched over to ground speed when the GPS was lost. My indicated yields were disappointing. I then noticed that I hadn't calibrated the transmission ground speed and it was showing that I was travelling about 1 1/2 times faster than I actually was. This meant the acres were accumulating 1 1/2 times faster than they should have which results in an instant yield of only 2/3 what it really is.

The wind finally went down but travelling North, I was in my own dust. I found out how often I refer to the GPS map in situations like that even for simple things like figuring out how close to the end when I am in dark and dusty conditions. I have various options of switching some things around and should be able to get GPS back without too much problem.

Edited by tedbear 10/6/2020 06:59
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)