AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Dad’s Christmas Gift Idea/ Farm Legacy Video
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

farmtech2000
Posted 9/29/2020 14:27 (#8521483)
Subject: Dad’s Christmas Gift Idea/ Farm Legacy Video

IL
Good afternoon. I was thinking about some gift ideas for my dad for Christmas. I thought of all the possible things I could get my dad and/or uncle for Christmas but want to do something a little more sentimental, something that’ll actually mean something to them. I am currently 20 years old and in my junior year of college. I’m majoring in Ag and was able to rent my first farm this spring and farm just shy of 400 acres. Between my Dad and Uncle, they farm 3,200 acres. They’re not super tech-savvy, or into the latest and greatest technology.. but they love seeing me use my drone. They love seeing the view of their farm from the birds-eye point of view. My Uncle is 60, and Dad just turned 50. All they know is farming, and have been farming some ground that has been in our family for the past 100+ years. Their dad (my grandpa) passed away 22 years ago with cancer. My grandma is 80+ years old but still gets around fairly well. Her mind is starting to slip, but on more recent events.. she still remembers things from years ago really well. She is always trying to help on the farm, even if it’s just helping us move fields. She loves talking about how much farming has changed since she was a kid, and how my grandpa would want to know what all the buttons were for in the equipment. I was hoping to do an interview type video of my grandma kinda reminiscing on the past, telling stories of her childhood on the farm, raising my dad and uncles on the farm, and now. I want to hear her talk about meeting my grandpa, marrying him while he was home for a couple of days in the military, having 16+ grandchildren, 10+ great-grandchildren, and 3 great-great grandchildren.. and all of the changes she’s seen over her past 80 years. I want to get some footage of her in the combine with me this fall, just riding around and talking. I want it to be all genuine, and real. I want to cover her voice with some photos of the family dairy (sold out in the ’70s)
and the farming operation, from back then up to now. I want to add any past photos and videos of my grandma. I want to add drone footage of planting, tillage, harvesting. I have some good drone footage of the grain leg and bins in the sunset, hopper bottoms parked on the edge of the road with their lights shining and the combine and cart in the background at night, filling planter boxes and a little bit of everything. I guess I’m just looking for some ideas from each of you, think as if it was you getting this as a “gift”. What would you want to be included in it, what wouldn’t you want to be included? Any specific topics I should get her to talk about? Or should I ask my uncle to interview or even my dad (I could very easily disguise their interviews as a school project)? (I may show her speaking in the video at the kitchen table, but I’ll cover a lot of the video with the farm footage, and family photos. In the final video, you won’t hear me asking her questions, it’ll just be her speaking...I just really want this to be something they’re proud of and wanna remember. I want them to recognize our Family Farm Legacy in the video. As my grandma is getting older, I realize I need to get on this soon, and hopefully get all the footage and videos this fall. As an 8th generation farmer, this is just as big of a gift to me as it is for them. Please, any input or advice would be appreciated. Thanks, and I hope for a safe & bountiful harvest.

Edited by farmtech2000 9/29/2020 14:27
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)