AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

McDonald’s French Fry potato growers
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

illfarmr
Posted 9/30/2020 10:26 (#8522763 - in reply to #8520282)
Subject: Talking about the food chain management

Central Illinois
Reminds me of some stories my late daughter told me. When she died, she was Director of Pricing for Safeway Foods. Before that, she had worked with another food company hedging their inputs. From cocoa to milk to vanilla and other ingredients, she was able to contract and/or hedge the price of about everything, and did. We are so used to "our" ag commodities that we forget there is another whole world of other commodities out there. I've forgotten most of her stories, but I remember finding them interesting. At least she was able to use some farm experience in the big city.

We had to go to the Bay Area to clean out her condo, and we met with her coworkers at Safeway. I am NOT knocking Safeway, or any other grocery chain, but they are huge. As I recall, they had three or four huge buildings on a campus with their own shuttle bus moving people from one building to another. I know she had a high paying job, but the thousands of people working there weren't minimum wage employees either. Looking at it, I was surprised food prices weren't higher. But, splitting those costs over a billion dollar company reduces that to a smaller amount.

I just found it interesting, looking at it from a grocery company's viewpoint, compared to a farmer's view.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)