AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

differences in 354.4 engines
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

rancherman
Posted 9/27/2020 15:53 (#8517855)
Subject: differences in 354.4 engines

So,  there's the   non turbo'd  version,
Turbo'd
and   Turbo'd and  charge cooled  (CC)

Far as i can tell,   the long blocks  are the same  between the  turbo'd and   CC  models.    

Same  pistons,  rods,  and  both sport  piston oil cooler squirters.   
Anything else i may have missed??

Man,  all I had to do was  'hint' i was thinking about repowering  my  3545  to a new   Sisu  engine,   and   less than  24 hours later,  i have a  major  piston slap/thunking.    I shouldn't have even   mentioned it...   But,   Aftermarket parts are,  what they are.    I rebuilt this engine about 3000 hours ago...  about  typical for me and aftermarket  rebuild kits...
I gotta  have  something  back in that tractor  by next weekend,   and  the fastest   way is to grab  a  'runner'   out of a combine,   change over anything to make it  a  'tractor'  engine,  and  roll.     Add my  intercooler  intake,   probably the exhaust manifold,   change the water pump,  remove the oil cooler and change the piping to  radiator oil cooler.

My  block is  the  2714960-1  casting,   and   just about every  'runner' i've  found  also is  that  casting..   I've done several   Dot 2-3  change overs,  and   had to deal with   stress  or non stress proof  blocks.   Apparently  the Dot4  engines  either were all  heavy blocks,  or  they put them in  everything.
I rented a  6616   to  get me by until then...   man,  what a  steep learning curve on that rig!!   It's like  driving  inside a  video game...  LOL.

Edited by rancherman 9/27/2020 15:57
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)