AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

HCC Orbit Reel - Steel vs Plastic Track - Throwing rollers / bending crank arms
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Lone Cedar
Posted 9/27/2020 01:00 (#8516956 - in reply to #8516945)
Subject: RE: HCC Orbit Reel - Steel vs Plastic Track - Throwing rollers / bending crank arms

SW Iowa
Yes, I follow what you're saying. Thanks for that insight. I will do some measuring on those arms that connect the pipes to the center tube and check, but we've definitely been down the road of trying to fix things by adjusting bolt hole slop and retightening (on the inside of arms, bolts through plastic bearing on outside end of arms, bolts that attach rollers to crank, bolts where the backing plate that holds the track attaches to the head, bolts for the plastic tracks themselves... possibly others if that doesn't cover everything). No matter what we've tried, it just seems like the inner track in that rear section is too far from the reel center... there is a little variation in extent from one roller to another, but they all pull on the inner track in the same general area and all ka-chunk the outer track at the top when they flip. We tried adjusting the clocking (track rotation in relation to the rest of the head) and thought maybe that helped make it a little bit smoother, but apparently not smooth enough since it kept screwing up.

One possible mitigating factor is we replaced the plastic bearings that hold the pipes at the end of the star arms preseason last year because they were pretty worn... the way it acts now it almost seems like it needs more slop there in order to work decent. We fought one particular crank last year for several days, until we figured out that the whole thing is basically dependent on the brackets pushing off the front and back of the two end reel fingers to keep the roller in the right orientation... and once we switched those two fingers with others that weren't yet beat up I think it worked fine the rest of the 2019 season (I did end up replacing that reel crank, but think it had worked OK for a couple days waiting for the part to arrive so figured the problem was really the fingers). And was fine for a few hours that we were able to run yesterday, but it seems like all hell broke loose today. Looking things over closer, we really couldn't find a way to make it as smooth as it seems like it should be to not cause problems.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)