AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Century farm house walkout basement door steps?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Jay NE Ohio
Posted 9/23/2020 21:38 (#8511992 - in reply to #8511839)
Subject: RE: Century farm house walkout basement door steps?

northeastern Ohio
havin’funfarming - 9/23/2020 20:53

What is the reason you can’t build a straight walk out on the back side of the house? From what I understand the terrain drops away on the back side. But you said there is a crawl space under the house? How do you have both a crawl space and a basement? Is the basement only under part of the house? I’m just a bit confused as to why you can’t build the walkout on the back side of the house.

It looks like a very nice house BTW.

Yes the terrain does drop at the rear of the house (newer addition). The main part (original part) of the house has a basement. Years later they added onto the main house but left the original sandstone foundation between the old and new. Just a crawl space under the addition to run ductwork and water lines (punched a hole through the sandstone). This is very common in the old houses in my area.

So it would require putting a basement under the newer addition and punching a hole though the original sandstone to access the original basement. That would be a huge project and really not needed. The basement is 18x25 which gives plenty of space for a furnace, hot water heater, freezer, shelves and storage.

The opposite side of the house has the septic tank, so I can't make an entrance there either. The front of the house is close to the road and would require moving a lot of dirt.

Thanks for the replies. The ramp makes sense but I might have to make one step at the top to keep the slope reasonable. Otherwise I would need to run the ramp all the way to the driveway.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)