AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Advice about neighbor and field approach
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

D6Joe
Posted 9/20/2020 20:39 (#8506723)
Subject: Advice about neighbor and field approach

east central ND
Have a large local operation/renter that took over the quarter next to one of mine. The culvert and the field approach is not centered on the quarter line. The quarter line has a mature tree row on it. He feels it’s his right to use the corner of my field for more room to get his big equipment and semi turned into the field he rents.

Owner was an excellent farm neighbor when he farmed-has gotten a little “odd” the last few years. The last / previous tenant with big equipment and semis never had a problem getting in the field and never drove on my crop corner.

I have no problem with others using the field approach, as long as they don’t drive over the corner of my crop.

About 12 or 15 years ago the culvert and approach was only 25’ wide. I and the township split the cost of 30’ more culvert. I installed it, put my fabrics on the end and around it to prevent wash outs, and I put my hand picked rock on the end for rip rap.

Not looking 15 years ahead and dealing with the neighbors renter, I and the township agreed it was ok to put the culvert extension on my side. Back then the neighbor/ owner rarely used it, as a 1/2 mile of dirt township road with no ditch along the other end of the field was his main access.

What can I do? Big renter doesn’t give a crap about my property. I politely asked the owner, after this springs work, to mention not driving on my crop to his new renter. The neighbor/owner got really pissy about it, don’t know why. In hindsight, there should have been 15 feet added on each end of the old culvert to keep it all centered up. Oh yea, 36” steele culvert, so it’s expensive and a lot of work to put in or change.

I don’t want to be an ass and fence the corner, but what should I do? The less land a guy has, the more precious it is......

Edited by D6Joe 9/20/2020 20:49

(image (full).jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments image (full).jpg (60KB - 381 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)