AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Who else was never in FFA or 4H?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

havin’funfarming
Posted 9/19/2020 08:25 (#8503862 - in reply to #8503664)
Subject: RE: Who else was never in FFA or 4H?

I never got to do anything either really. There was always work to be done on the farm. From a kids perspective I grew up thinking that I was the lucky one as everyone else was just wasting their time. I spent my younger years in the shop building things out of wood. I started out making toys and birdhouses and by the time I was 12-14 I was building china cabinets and grandfather clocks. After that I got into working with metal and was building go carts out of whatever parts I could find laying around.

Luckily though there were several neighbours within a few miles and we all had honda 3-wheelers and dirt bikes. In the summers we would often get together and ride around in ditches, pastures and gravel pits. The trick was I had to leave without telling my dad. If I would tell him there was always some type of work that would suddenly have to be done instead.

I realized later that it is essential for kids to build social skills as they are growing up and how much I lacked in that area. It was a good thing I at least had the experience of riding around with friends but it was still a struggle. I am still not outgoing and am often uncomfortable in some social situations. I often wonder if I would be different if I had been able to socialize more as a kid.

This is a China cabinet that I built. It was made out of solid oak and oak plywood. I made all the mouldings and doors myself. Technically it’s still not finished because I never did get door handles for it. Lol.

Edited by havin’funfarming 9/19/2020 08:31

(6D5E482C-C2E5-4C45-91D4-988DAEB10BCC (full).jpeg)

(F6DEBC14-6347-4B1D-9646-586463C8EF21 (full).jpeg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 6D5E482C-C2E5-4C45-91D4-988DAEB10BCC (full).jpeg (88KB - 252 downloads)
Attachments F6DEBC14-6347-4B1D-9646-586463C8EF21 (full).jpeg (88KB - 298 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)